IF YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL photographer it’s good to be working with kit that’s up to date and comes with the cutting edge features you need to earn a living. However, brand new cameras are expensive and right now everyone is watching their budget.
All is not lost, however, since there are some excellent second hand options available where the risk has been taken out of the equation by used specialists such as MPB who check, grade and photograph every item they sell and provide a six month warranty for good measure.
That’s great news if you’re looking to buy, but the company has also simplified the process of selling as well. With this in mind we asked MPB’s experts to come up with some ideas for trade-ups with a professional angle, that would enable a photographer, for a fairly modest investment, to move on gear that they might have outgrown and say hello to a newly upgraded outfit.
Trade within an existing system and you can carry on working with existing glass and find more gear you don’t use regularly and you’ll narrow that gap between your sale and purchase even more.
More information: www.mpb.com
MAKE THIS CHOICE and you’ll move in one fell swoop up two notches of the 5D ladder, from a legendary model that introduced full frame video to pro photographers and started a filmmaking revolution through to a much more sophisticated camera that is more able to cope with a modern day-to-day professional workflow.
- The II can only shoot video in 1080p whereas the IV can shoot in 4K
- The IV offers a higher resolution with 30.4 megapixels to the II’s 21.1
- The IV offers built-in WI-FI which is ideal for photo sharing
- The IV has a higher ISO and more dynamic range
Sell Canon 5d II to MPB for:
- Good condition – £285
- Excellent condition – £325
- Like new condition – £345
Buy Canon 5D IV from MPB for:
- Good condition – £1689
- Excellent condition – £1899
- Like new condition – £1994
A SMALLER STEP UP here perhaps but the upgraded a7R II certainly raises the video production stakes and adds extra resolution for good measure. Find around £700 extra and you even look at jumping up two upgrades to go for the a7R MarkIII, but the beauty of upgrading is that you can go one small step at a time if money happens to be tight, and use the Mark II model as a staging point to bigger and better things!
- The Sony a7R II offers IS
- The a7R can only shoot video in 1080p whereas the a7R II can shoot in 4K
- The a7R II offers a higher resolution with 42.4 megapixels to the a7R’s 36.4
- The a7R is, however, slightly lighter
Sell Sony Alpha A7R to MPB for:
- Good condition – £390
- Excellent condition – £440
- Like new condition – £470
Buy Sony Alpha A7R II from MPB for:
- Good condition – £924
- Excellent condition – £1039
- Like new condition – £1089
FUJIFILM’S X-SERIES of cameras are hugely popular and the X-T1 made a big impression when it first appeared. Now for a relatively modest outlay you’ll be able to make a leap of a full two upgrades by moving to the X-T3 and you’ll find that an already great camera has been made even better.
- The Fujifilm X-T1 can only shoot video in 1080p whereas the X-T3 is able to shoot in 4K
- The X-T3 offers a touch screen
- The X-T3 offers a higher resolution with 26.1MP to the X-T1’s 16.3MP
- The X-T3 offers a 900-second exposure time, while the X-T1 only offers a 30-second exposure time
Sell Fujifilm X-T1 to MPB for:
- Good condition – £165
- Excellent condition – £185
- Like new condition – £200
Buy X-T3 from MPB for:
- Good condition – £779
- Excellent condition – £879
- Like new condition – £924
MIRRORLESS IS THE buzz word right now and there are some huge advantages to be gained by switching to a ‘what you see is what you get’ way of working. The Z6 can also shoot ProRes Raw video if used in combination with an Atomos Ninja V recorder.
- The Z6 at 675g is around 20% lighter than the D750 (840g)
- The Z6 offers in-camera IS, not available on the D750
- The D750 can only shoot video in 1080p whereas the Z6 can shoot in 4K
- The Nikon Z6 offers only a slightly higher resolution than the D750
- The D750 offers a much longer still battery life at 1230 shots vs the Z6’s 380
Sell Nikon D750 to MPB for:
- Good condition – £500
- Excellent condition – £560
- Like new condition – £595
Buy Nikon Z6 from MPB for:
- Good condition – £1124
- Excellent condition – £1239
- Like new condition – £1299
OLDER THAN THE G90 by 17 months, the G9 is still considered to be the more professional of the two models, being bigger and heavier and potentially more robust. There is a close synergy between the two models, with many shared features.
- The G90 is lighter at 536g vs the G9 at 658g
- The G90 comes with a built-in flash
- The G9 offers a much faster frame rate at 60 fps vs the G90’s 9.3fps
- The G9 offers longer battery life at 400 shots vs the G90’s 290 Shots
- The G9 offers a high-resolution composite mode, which allows it to combine multiple shots
Sell Panasonic G90 to MPB for:
- Good condition – £355
- Excellent condition – £400
- Like new condition – £425
Buy Panasonic G9 from MPB for:
- Good condition – £634
- Excellent condition – £719
- Like new condition – £754
© 2020, Professional Photo Magazine and Respective content owners.. All rights reserved.