FUJIFILM have announced the launch of the FUJIFILM X-T4 (hereinafter “X-T4”), a flagship model of the X Series range of mirrorless digital cameras.
The X-T4 is the pinnacle of the X Series, delivering the highest performance in both stills and video. A new shutter unit has been developed to be fast, durable and quiet. Combined with the fastest ever autofocus performance in an X Series camera, thanks to the development of a new algorithm, you can now capture the decisive moment that you may have missed before. The X-T4 is also the first model in the X-T Series to feature in-body image stabilization (IBIS), dramatically boosting the potential of the camera for stills and video shooting. The standalone video mode, which is now activated with a simple switch, and the use of digital image stabilization in the video mode, provides unparalleled shooting smoothness, allowing users to immerse themselves in video production. The new Film Simulation mode, ETERNA Bleach Bypass, simulates the traditional film processing technique to create a unique world of low saturation and high contrast.
The X-T4 is an amazing imaging tool, packing with IBIS, new shutter unit and a large-capacity battery all housed into a compact and lightweight body, which is the core philosophy of all X Series . There are photographic moments that only the X-T4, the ultimate mirrorless camera, can help you capture and record.
Key features and improvements of X-T4 include:
Powerful new components
- The X-T4 is the first model in the X-T Series to feature an IBIS mechanism. It provides 5-axis 6.5 stop image stabilization when used with 18 out of 29 XF / XC lenses, thanks to the use of new materials for the base part, refined layout of the shutter’s shock-absorbing structure and newly developed gyro sensors that boast approx. 8 times the detection accuracy of the IBIS unit in the X-H1. The mechanism assists night photography or action photography such as sports, and also helps video recording in situations prone to camera shake. The new IBIS unit uses magnetic force rather than springs, which boosts functionality while making it approx. 30% smaller and 20% lighter than X-H1’s image stabilization mechanism.
- The X-T4 is equipped with an ultra-fast focal plane shutter. Thanks to newly developed high-torque coreless DC motor, the shutter has the capability to shoot up to world’s fastest*1 15fps in burst mode, and has advanced response performance with a shutter release lag of just 0.035 seconds. The shutter unit also boasts double the durability with 300,000 actuations and shutter noise approx. 30% quieter compared to the X-T3.
- The NP-W235 battery has a large capacity that is approx. 1.5 times that of an NP-W126S battery. It lasts for approx. 500 frames per charge in the Normal mode, approx. 600 frames per charge in the Economy mode and up to approx. 1,700 frames when two additional batteries are used with the optional battery grip “VG-XT4″*2.
- The X-T4 uses the back-illuminated 26.1MP “X-TransTM CMOS 4”*3 sensor and a high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4.” Combined with FUJIFILM’s color reproduction technology, nurtured over 85 years of R&D for photographic films, the X-T4 delivers a wide variety of options so you can recreate a scene exactly as you remember it.
Unique color reproduction technology
- The X-T4 features “ETERNA Bleach Bypass,” a new Film Simulation mode, that uses FUJIFILM’s unique technology to provide versatile color tones. The new mode simulates “bleach bypass,” a traditional processing technique for silver halide films, creating images with low saturation and high contrast for a special atmosphere.
- Highlight and shadow tones from -2 to +4 can now be adjusted by 1/2 stops, instead of 1 stop, allowing for finer tonality.
- White Balance now has “White Priority” and “Ambience Priority” options in addition to “AUTO.” The “White Priority” mode reproduces white better, while the “Ambience Priority” produces a warmer tone.
- When “RAW” is selected, you can now choose the non-reversible “Compressed” option in addition to the reversible “Lossless Compressed.”
- The X-T4 offers a world’s fastest*1 15fps continuous shooting in post view and an 8fps continuous shooting in live view using the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter enables blackout-free burst shooting of 30fps.
- The eyecup now has a locking mechanism to prevent tearing or dislodgement.
- The 1.62 mil dots vari-angle monitor allows for more creative and versatile shooting styles.
- The LCD/EVF can be boosted in three different ways, Low Light Priority – allowing you to see the subject clearly in low light, Resolution Priority – displaying even the fine details of your subject and Frame Rate Priority – minimizing blur in the viewfinder when shooting a moving subject.
- The Boost / Normal modes are now joined by the Economy mode, which saves the power to increase the battery life.
- A new algorithm and phase detection AF’s processing capability has led to autofocus performance as fast as 0.02 seconds. This ensures that you capture and track a subject moving at high speed, especially when combined with the continuous shooting performance of 15fps in post view and 8fps in live view.
- Tracking AF performance has also undergone serious enhancement. The tracking success rate has been doubled compared to the X-T3.
- The Face / Eye AF performance has been dramatically improved. This enhanced tracking ability has made focusing and taking portraits even easier than ever before.
Professional video functions
- The X-T4 is capable of recording Full HD high-speed video at 240P, producing up to 10x slow-motion effect.
- The IBIS is when combined with the electronic image stabilization function (DIS) for use in the video mode, brings even more image stabilization, essential when shooting video while you walk.
- The “IS (Image Stabilization) Boost” mode mitigates gentle camera shakes, enabling stabilized fixed-point video recording without a tripod.
- The stills and video modes now have separate menus and the video-only Quick Menu (Q Menu) button has enhanced the camera’s simplicity while recording video.
- ”Movie optimized control” function has been introduced. Users can adjust exposure with the command dial as well as the touchscreen panel. With this function, you can switch the STILL / MOVIE mode dial on the top panel to swiftly shift into video recording with stored video settings.
- Video in the same format can be recorded on to two SD cards at the same time as backup.
- The F-Log View Assist function has been added to correct low-saturation / low-contrast video while recording F-Log. Video is converted equivalent to BT.709 for display to make it easier to attain correct exposure in video recording.
- The “Fix movie crop magnification” function fixes the video crop rate to prevent changes in the angle of view when switching to a different video mode.
- “MIC jack setting” on the camera can be switched input level between MIC level and LINE level. The camera supports external microphones as well as LINE level input from external audio equipment.
- (1) Vertical battery grip “VG-XT4” (for the X-T4 only)
The vertical battery grip is dust- and moisture-resistant and operates at temperatures as low as minus 10 degrees Celsius. It fits two batteries and, when combined with a third battery in the camera body, delivers up to approx. 1,450 frames in the Normal mode and 1,700 frames in the Economy mode. When one battery runs out, the camera switches seamlessly to the next battery while continuing to shoot, even in the burst mode or during video recording.
The grip features a shutter release button, focus lever, AEL button, AFON button, command dials, Q button and Fn button to provide the same level of handling and comfort in vertical shooting as you get in horizontal operation.
- (2) Battery “NP-W235”
This large capacity battery is 1.5 times that of an NP-W126S battery, lasts for 500 frames per charge in the Normal mode, 600 frames in the Economy mode and up to 1,700 frames continuously if it is combined with the optional battery grip “VG-XT4” which holds 2 more batteries.
- (3) Dual battery charger “BC-W235”
This charger can charge two NP-W235 batteries at the same time.
- (4) Cover kit “CVR-XT4”
This is a cover kit specifically designed for the X-T4.
The kit contains
1 x Sync terminal cover
1 x Hot shoe cover
1 x Vertical battery grip terminal cover (black)
1 x Vertical battery grip terminal cover (silver)
1 x Memory card slot cover
- (5) Shoe-mount flash “EF-X8”
This flash small hot shoe flash is now available as an optional accessory.
*1 As of February 26, 2020. Among mirrorless digital cameras equipped with APS-C sensor or greater, according to FUJIFILM data.
*2 All the numbers of frames per charge are based on the JPEG format and using only the LCD monitor.
*3 X-Trans™ is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
© 2020, Professional Photo Magazine and Respective content owners.. All rights reserved.