Superior optical performance throughout the entire zoom range with adoption of a newly developed SR lens element
Nikon have announced the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR, a fast telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with Nikon FX-format digital SLR cameras.
Development of the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR was announced on September 4, 2019.
The AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is an FX-format, telephoto zoom lens that covers the 120 mm to 300 mm range of focal lengths with a constant fast maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout that range. It demonstrates superior optical performance and image blur compensation, as well as enhanced AF performance throughout the entire zoom range, expanding telephoto shooting opportunities.
Optics are constructed of one ED, two fluorite, and one newly developed SR lens element for superior optical performance. The SR lens element is made of a high- and specialized-dispersion glass that significantly refracts short-wavelength light, enabling rendering with which the great majority of chromatic aberration is suppressed. In addition, adoption of Nikon’s exclusive anti-reflection coatings, Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat, a first for NIKKOR F-mount lenses, ensures consistent and incredibly low reflection throughout the entire spectrum of visible light. These coatings effectively reduce the ghost and flare generated by incident light for sharp and clear images, even when a light source is included in the frame.
As a fast lens with a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is capable of fast shutter speeds, even in low-light indoor situations, that suppress blur caused by camera shake and subject movement. It also achieves both sharp and clear rendering along the focal plane and beautiful blur characteristics (bokeh). What’s more, the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is equipped with a vibration reduction mechanism that supports image blur compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop* increase in shutter speed. Further, SPORT VR mode is optimized for photographing sporting scenes because it stabilizes the viewfinder image with shooting, making it easy to track subjects moving quickly or erratically throughout the frame. The algorithm that controls motor drive has also been enhanced for greater AF tracking performance with subjects whose speed of motion changes suddenly.
The AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR expands photo opportunities with sports photography by combining superior optical performance with agility, providing professional photographers with even greater support.
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards in NORMAL VR mode when a digital SLR camera equipped with a full-frame, 35mm film equivalent image sensor is used. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
Short-wavelength refractive (SR) lens element
Nikon’s original, newly developed SR lens is a high- and specialized-dispersion glass lens featuring characteristics to greatly refract light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. By controlling short-wavelength light that is difficult to compensate, light of various specific wavelengths can be more effectively collected achieving highly precise chromatic aberration compensation. Because this lens can be used in the same way as normal glass lenses, more flexible optical design is attained without limitations in lens layout. While realizing high optical performance, a compact and light lens can be designed.
- A telephoto zoom lens compatible with the Nikon FX format that covers the 120 mm to 300 mm range of focal lengths with a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8
- Optical performance that achieves extremely sharp and clear resolution, all the way to the extreme edges of the frame, throughout the zoom range
- Adoption of one ED, two fluorite, and one newly developed SR lens element effectively controls chromatic aberration
- The use of Nikon’s exclusive anti-reflection coatings, ARNEO Coat and Nano Crystal Coat, effectively reduces ghost and flare
- Superior AF performance through the use of AF detection results for more accurate subject tracking and nimble response to subjects whose speed of motion changes suddenly
- A vibration reduction mechanism that supports NORMAL and SPORT modes and offers camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop increase in shutter speed (NORMAL mode)
- A minimum focus distance of 2 m throughout the entire zoom range
- Positioning of four focus function buttons that enables quick and certain focusing
- Adoption of components made of a magnesium alloy achieves both strength and durability, and a lighter weight
- Sealed throughout with consideration given to dust and drip resistance
- Nikon’s exclusive fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water, grease, and dirt applied to the outer surface of the extreme front lens element
- Adoption of highly durable bearings for the tripod collar for quick and smooth switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations
- An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that enables stable exposure control, even with high-speed continuous shooting
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
© 2020, Professional Photo Magazine and Respective content owners.. All rights reserved.