Panasonic Develops a New LUMIX S1H Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
With Cinema-Quality Video and the World’s First 6K/24p*1 Recording Capability
Panasonic Corporation announced today the development of the LUMIX S1H, a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera equipped with a full-frame image sensor. It is the world’s first camera capable of video recording at 6K/24p *1 (3:2 aspect ratio), 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio), and 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K.*2 *3 Combining the professional-level video quality and high mobility of the mirrorless camera, Panasonic will release the LUMIX S1H to world markets in fall 2019.
Since starting the development of video recording technologies for digital cinema in the 1990s, Panasonic has produced a host of innovative technologies for impressive cinematic imagery, such as 24p video recording, slow motion video using a variable frame rate, and the wide dynamic range and color space of V-Log/V-Gamut. Panasonic has been working with film creators for over a quarter of a century to design and develop a number of cinema cameras, which has resulted in stunningly high video performance. The LUMIX GH1 made its debut in 2009 as the world’s first Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera capable of full-HD AVCHD video recording.*4 The LUMIX GH4 was launched in 2014 as the world’s first Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera*5 capable of 4K video recording. And in 2017, the LUMIX GH5 was released with the world’s first 4K/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit 4K/30p recording capability.*6 The LUMIX GH5 is highly acclaimed by film creators for its high performance, excellent mobility, and superb versatility in film production.
The new LUMIX S1H has been designed and developed by applying the vast expertise and technologies accumulated in the cinema cameras of the LUMIX S Series of full-frame mirrorless cameras. It packs all of these technologies, especially in the field of digital signal processing and heat dispersion, into a compact, lightweight body to achieve both high performance and nimble mobility. It opens the door to creative film production in ways that conventional, bulky camera systems simply could not do.
The main features of the new LUMIX S1H are as follows:
- High resolution up to 6K for multiple formats
Maximizing the use of the pixels in the full-frame image sensor, the LUMIX S1H, as a digital camera, has achieved 6K/24p (3:2 aspect ratio) or 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) video recording for the first time in the world.*1 It is also the world’s first full-frame digital interchangeable lens system camera*1 to enable 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K *2*3 video recording. It accommodates a variety of recording formats, including 4:3 Anamorphic mode, to meet professional needs. Its high-resolution data can also be used for creating 4K videos with higher image quality or for cropping images in 4K.
- Rich gradation and a wide color space virtually equal to those of cinema cameras.
The LUMIX S1H features V-Log/V-Gamut with a wide dynamic range of 14+ stops, which are virtually the same as those of the Panasonic Cinema VariCam, to precisely capture everything from dark to bright areas. The color and even the texture of human skin are faithfully reproduced. Designed under consistent color management, the S1H’s recorded footage is compatible with V-Log footage recorded by VariCam or V-Log L footage recorded by LUMIX GH5/GH5S.
- High product reliability that allows unlimited video recording.*7
In every S1H recording mode, video can be recorded non-stop under the certified operating temperature so the user can concentrate on shooting.
Panasonic now offers three innovative models in the LUMIX S Series of full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras – the S1R, the S1, and the new S1H. The LUMIX S1R is ideal for taking high-resolution pictures, the LUMIX S1 is an advanced hybrid camera for high-quality photos and videos, and the LUMIX S1H is designed and developed especially for film production. With this lineup, Panasonic is committed to meet the demands of every imaging professional by challenging the constant evolution of the photo/video culture in today’s new digital era.
The LUMIX S1H prototype will be exhibited at the “Cine Gear Expo 2019.”*8
- *1. As a digital interchangeable lens system camera, as of May 31, 2019 (U.S.). Panasonic research.
- *2. As a full-frame digital interchangeable lens system camera, as of May 31 May, 2019 (U.S.). Panasonic research. In Super 35mm-equivalent size.
- *3. Corresponding to 4K (4096×2160) as defined by Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI).
- *4. As of March 25, 2009, as a digital interchangeable lens system camera. Panasonic research.
- *5. As of March 25, 2014, as a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera. Panasonic research.
- *6. As of January 25, 2017, as a digital interchangeable lens system camera. Panasonic research.
- *7. Recording time varies depending on the battery capacity and memory card capacity. When the camera’s temperature rises above the specified operation temperature, the camera may automatically stop video recording to protect it from heat damage.
- *8. Cine Gear Expo 2019 is the premier annual event for professionals engaged in the technology, entertainment and media industry to be held at Paramount Studios in Los Angles, U.S., through May 30 to June 2.
© 2019, Professional Photo Magazine and Respective content owners.. All rights reserved.